The WELL Lab

Wednesday, September 20, 10:15 - 11:15 AM

Speaker(s): Adrian Gainer

Current statistics indicate that as much as 80% of a building’s costs are related to the people who live, work, shop and play in buildings, while the remaining 20% is spent on infrastructure and IT-related costs. Upon this realization, the WELL Building Standard™ was established in 2015 as the result of many years of coordinated research by doctors, architects and industry professionals looking to establish a rating system that focuses on a building’s most important asset: its people. The WELL Building Standard extends beyond design and construction of the built environment, addressing operations and occupant behavior to improve health and wellness outcomes and, in turn, improve employee productivity, engagement and retention.

HOK is pioneering the development of the WELL Lab model by applying the seven WELL concepts to the design of research laboratories. HOK is embracing this opportunity and unique responsibility as one of the world’s most influential design firms to advance health and wellness design awareness, proficiency and innovation for the scientific workplace.

In this session, Adrian Gainer will set up a number of challenges that must be addressed when considering the WELL Lab model within the context of the scientific workplace. This includes developing solutions to enhance aesthetic goals while focusing on health and well-being to promote both occupant wellness and scientific productivity.